by Melanie A. Albert, intuitive cooking expert, author, speaker, Founder & CEO Experience Nutrition Group, LLC
A few days ago a friend asked me for some ideas to create plant-based protein meals. Interestingly, when I was teaching former NFL players how to cook, one of the first questions they asked me was: “Mel, will I have to stop eating meat?”. Well, I let them know that if they ate meat, they should eat clean meat. I also let the NFL guys know that there are some great sources of plant protein, including legumes (beans, lentils) and some whole grains, such as quinoa, which is a complete protein. Lentil quinoa soup is quick and easy, as both ingredients do not need to be pre-soaked.
Today’s soup is one that I taught former Arizona Cardinal, John Bronson how to cook. Take a look at the photos in my book, “A New View of Healthy Eating,” of John enjoying learning how to make Lentil Quinoa Soup with lots of anti-inflammatory turmeric.
LENTIL QUINOA SWEET POTATO SOUP RECIPE
- 1 cup lentils
- 3-4 carrots and/or sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion or 5-6 green onions, minced
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 5-inch strip of kombu seaweed, if desired
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa
- 6-8 cups water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, hand-ground
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ bunch kale, torn or chopped into bite-size pieces
Simple Steps to create your Lentil Quinoa Sweet Potato Soup
- Step 1: Gather your mise en place.
- Step 2: Heat large soup pot at medium-low, add onions and cumin seeds to pot, and sweat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Add celery and carrots, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Step 4: Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Step 5: Add sweet potatoes to pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Step 6: Add ground turmeric to the pot.
- Step 7: Rinse lentils and quinoa and pour into pot.
- Step 8: Add about 8 cups of water to the pot.
- Step 9: Bring soup to a boil.
- Step 10: Lower to simmer and cook covered for about 30-45 minutes.
- Step 11: Enjoy. Today, I topped with fresh pea shoots for freshness.