By Melanie A. Albert, intuitive cooking expert, author, and speaker. Founder & CEO Experience Nutrition Group, LLC
New Year’s Day 2017 started with a beautiful yoga practice and commitment to extreme self care in 2017. Then, my 11 year old niece, Meredith, came to my home to visit and cook, which was definitely more self care for me.
Meredith decided to create the Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie from my new cookbook, A New View of Healthy Eating. This is a very simple-to-prepare, beautiful delicious creamy pie, and perfect for our New Year dessert.
Enjoy Meredith’s step-by-step photos in creating her pie. By the way her Aunt and parent’s loved the pie!
Meredith and her mise en place all ready for the Chocolate Pie
Meredith made the crust for her pie with raw organic pecans (finely pulsed), maple sugar, a little unrefined organic virgin coconut oil, and a dash of Celtic sea salt.
Meredith’s next step: Press the crust into a 10-inch springform pan.
The chocolate chips were melted in a 350 degree oven for about 3 minutes. So easy.
Looks like Meredith had fun blending and tasting the melted chocolate chips, tofu, vanilla, and sea salt.
Nearing the end of creating the pie. Meredith adds the chocolate filling to the pie crust.
Meredith intuitively decided to add some melted chocolate chips to the top of the pie. Looking amazing! Into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
And, here’s Meredith’s first Vegan Chocolate Pie. Oh my, oh my!!!
Excerpt from A New View of Healthy Eating: Chocolate Vegan Pie
Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
Try this simple chocolate dessert recipe that everyone enjoys. This gourmet-quality pie is so much fun to make and is beautiful and delicious every time I teach it in my private and group cooking classes. Learn to quickly and easily melt chocolate chips right in your oven. If you have extra chocolate pie, cut it into small pieces and freeze for snacks.
- 2 cups raw pecans
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 ½ cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 packages organic soft silken tofu (260g packages)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Make the Crust.
- Pulse pecans and maple sugar in food processor.
- Add coconut oil and sea salt.
- Pulse to combine well.
- Press and shape mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Melt Chocolate Chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the chocolate chips in a single layer onto a flat baking sheet.
- Place in the oven to melt for no more than 3-4 minutes or until melted. Be careful that you don’t burn them.
- Blend the Filling.
- Place tofu, vanilla, sea salt, and melted chocolate chips into a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh fruit and nuts.
For the Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie and more recipes and culinary tips, my new cookbook, A New View of Healthy Eating is available right here. You can purchase and I’ll mail the book to you.
Happy 2017 to all, with lots of simple intuitive cooking!