By Melanie A. Albert, intuitive cooking expert, author, and speaker. Founder & CEO Experience Nutrition Group, LLC
I am so honored to be part of the Spiritual Adrenaline Dessert Guide and would like to thank the inspiring Tom Shanahan for inviting me to share my healthy recipes for the holidays with you. If you have never cooked a brownie with sweet potatoes, I invite you to give it a try. It is sweet, chocolatey and a perfect complement to your holiday celebrations. Enjoy!
Excerpt from A New View of Healthy Eating: Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownie (pages 164-165)
Delicious vegan, gluten-free chocolate dessert made with a sweet root veggie, the sweet potato. This brownie is always a favorite at kids’ and adults’ cooking classes. It’s one of those desserts we can even eat for breakfast!
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ⅔ cup raw almonds, ground
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 4 tbsp raw cacao
- 3 tbsp maple sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into chunks, and steam in a bamboo steamer for about 20 minutes until they become really soft.
- Once sweet potatoes are soft and beginning to fall apart, remove from steamer.
- Mix sweet potatoes and pitted dates into food processor and blend.
- Put remaining ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add sweet potato/date mixture to other ingredients and stir well.
- Place mixture into 8-inch by 8-inch parchment-paper-lined baking dish.
- Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Test doneness by pushing a toothpick into the brownie. The brownie is ready when a toothpick comes out dry.
- Allow baking dish to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from baking dish.
- Cool for a few minutes and cut into squares.
A New View of Healthy Eating book is available NOW! Buy your copy today and I’ll gift wrap and ship it to you or your friends.
Join our e-mail list and stay up-to-date on events, classes, culinary techniques, and recipes.
Share your version of the Sweet Potato Brownie with us on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NewViewHealthyEating