By Melanie A. Albert, intuitive cooking expert, author, and speaker. Founder & CEO Experience Nutrition Group, LLC
In addition to simple dehydrated kale chips with olive oil, dried herbs, and sea salt we can also make kale chips with a cheesy-taste. Soaked raw cashews and nutrition yeast are the key ingredients in these kale chips. Nutritional yeast, a fungus grown on molasses, is a complete protein, rich in vitamin B12. It melts and has a mild Cheddar cheese flavor, and adds flavor to kale chips, sauces, and soups.
EXCERPT from A New View of Healthy Eating
Kale Chips: Dehydrated & Baked
Kale is such a popular food, eaten as a salad, chips, or a wrap. Here’s a very quick way to make delicious dehydrated kale chips. Once you have learned to make dehydrated kale chips, you can easily change the flavor with different spices and herbs, such as fresh ginger, basil, or oregano.
- 2 large bunches kale, dinosaur or curly green, torn into pieces
- 1 cup raw cashews, pre-soaked in water 4-6 hours
- 1 fresh lemon, approximately 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½-⅔ cup water
- Soak cashews for 4-6 hours in water. Once soft, drain.
- Wash kale, remove the leaves from the stems, and tear leaves into big pieces.
- Place lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder into high-speed blender.
- Add about half of the water and blend.
- Continue to add more water, if needed, to create a thick, pourable dressing.
- To prepare the kale chips, place the kale pieces into a large bowl and pour dressing over the kale.
- Using your hands, thoroughly coat the kale leaves with the dressing.
- Place the kale leaves onto dehydrator trays, making sure that the leaves are in a single layer so that they dehydrate evenly.
- Dehydrate at 115°F for approximately 7 hours or until dehydrated and crisp.
Simple Steps to Bake Kale Chips
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Line 2 large, flat baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place kale leaves on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning leaves halfway through cooking.
A New View of Healthy Eating is available NOW!